Thursday, February 4, 2010

She's not a boy!

When I was pregnant and found out that I was having a girl, I promised myself that I’d always dress my daughter in dresses and ribbons and bows. I would never let anyone think that my baby girl was a boy. Well fast forward to now and in her almost 7 months of life, a few people have thought that Alyssa was a boy. I don’t dress her like a boy. While dresses and hair bows don’t always happen, she does wear pink most of the time. I guess it’s really only the old ladies that make the mistake but it really bugs me. Alyssa is a girl!
One of the times I really remember was one Sunday at church. Alyssa had on a pink dress and a pink blanket, and still I had an old lady ask if she was a boy or girl. Then yesterday, we were in the checkout line at the store. Alyssa was in her carseat in the cart. The lady behind told me that “HE wants to get out” I just smiled and said “yeah I bet SHE does want to get out”. In the lady’s defense, Alyssa was wearing a grey sweatshirt but the sweatshirt said “baby girl” on it. She also had a pink and yellow (but mostly pink) blanket. I guess I will have to work harder now to make sure that nobody else thinks that my daughter is a boy. I will also have to remember to use gender neutral terms when I am an old lady so that I don’t make the same mistake. Hopefully those ladies just had bad eyesight, that’s what I’m going to tell myself…

4 comments:

  1. That's hilarious Julie :) Don't worry, I know that Alyssa is a girl!! I have to admit, I have made the mistake of calling someone's baby the wrong gender, but in my defense, they were wearing neutral colors! And they were bald! So now, if I can't tell, I just say "oh, they're so cute!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens no matter which gender the baby is. I have lost count of the times people have called Matson a girl, even when he is completely decked out in blue and wrapped in a football blanket. So don't be too hurt. And sometimes it really is hard to tell. I know we as parents know the gender of our baby, but if you really think about it, kids could look like either gender when they are young. I just wish people would pay closer attention to the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny! Jordan would be in blue ALL the time and so many people called him a girl. I guess he was just too pretty!! lol. Sometimes... I guess that gives me ease. We dont know what were having and I guess I can just dress him or her in whatever I already have cuz they won't know any difference. lol. sillies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Julie you are a woman of my own heart! I would be SO ANNOYED even if it was an old lady... in fact I don't think I'd be able to hold back from being rude about it. Like "No, she's a girl... that's why I put her in that sweatshirt." Ew I'm so bugged for you. I love old people to death... but literally they are dumb sometimes. Lol. I pledge to be a very alert elderly person! And not make rude comments on other people's babies! (and you can hold me to that) :o)

    ReplyDelete